Monday 2 September 2013

A520.4.3.RB_TingJunLee

Create a blog entry discussing each of the motivators identified in this video and discuss their impact on you; additionally identify 3 additional motivators that have a major impact on you.

1) Interesting Work
My work involves the writing of repair instructions for aircraft engine components. The repairs of these components are highly limited as technology takes time to catch up, hence the repair methods are typically the same for the same distress mode. This makes the writing of repairs repetitive and mundane as the steps are largely the same. On top of that, the approval process of these repairs are also the same, as well as working with the same engineers most of the time. Obviously, this gets boring after a while and results in a drop in motivation. I find myself become increasingly deluded with my work as everyday seems to be the same as before.

2) Expand Skills
As a fresh graduate and my current job being my first and only job thus far, I entered the company with a lot of expectations but yet totally clueless about how the job gets done. Over the years I have learnt a lot from when I first started but still not enough to feel comfortable on my own to make decisions, especially technical decisions. The exposure and training that we have is not enough to fulfill the needs to every hired engineer, although there are the occasional training sessions. In addition, the engineers work in relatively specialized areas of the aircraft engine so we become fairly familiar with the type of work in that area but not others. After a while, I have come to realize that my interest in work has stagnated, especially as the learning curve started to taper off. I think by putting myself in a new environment, such as a new team, I will be forced to leave my comfort zone and learn a new skill. This may help to improve my motivation for work again.

3) Recognition
My company recognizes good performance by giving out monetary incentives. I received such awards twice and must admit that I felt proud to receive them. It definitely boosted my morale and for a while after, I strived to produce better work. My manager also praises good performance publicly for the rest of the department to know and that makes me feel good. On the other hand, when others receive praise I find myself wanting to know what they did right so I can learn.

Additional Motivators
In my opinion, having a good supervisor/manager/mentor is important in motivating me to work. When I see my bosses work hard, I feel the urge to work hard as well. A good manager to me is one that understands his or her employees and is willing to get his hands dirty with their subordinates. Such a boss will get my respect for sure.
Work-life balance also plays a part in my motivation to work. I am someone with a rather short attention span so I cannot stay in the office the whole time. I feel the need to get out and live a little. Thankfully my current company has an excellent work-life balance which allows me to have my own personal time to do the things I want to do. 
Finally, after all the above has been covered, monetary remunerations come in to the picture. I will definitely not be motivated to work at my current level for anything less than what I receive when I first joined. It is difficult to determine the right level of pay and annual increments so market comparison needs to be done. Naturally, the more money the better it is and may lead to more motivation, but it definitely does not beat the rest of the items covered above. 


No comments: