Tuesday 17 September 2013

A520.6.5.RB_TingJunLee

Consider how you generally relate as a team-member.

In my current team, we are given different portfolios and customers to handle individually, with all engineers reporting to a supervisor and a manager. Day to day issues and tasks that require engineering expertise can be solved easily by us. In a way, that is the authority and responsibility that is given to us. We function well as a team, especially when a colleague has to be out of office for long periods of time. Also, there may be instances where a colleague may be overloaded with work. If so, the work is spread among the others so as to keep things moving and accomplish goals on time. Everyone seems willing to help one another.

Do you actively engage your team to accomplish its mission?

I am currently leading a project, which comprises of 2 other engineers more experienced than me. It is challenging because I need to manage both the customer’s expectations as well as my team’s seniority. During meetings, I tend to ask for suggestions and listen to what they have to say, taking on the role on a facilitator rather than a dictator. As they are more experienced, they may have better ideas and suggestions on how to solve problems. Decisions are made collectively and everything is discussed properly before coming to a conclusion. I make sure the approach is uniform and everyone agrees to it before moving forward.

Do you work to improve the team cohesion and collaboration?

With regard to the team I am leading at the moment, there’s no need to improve team cohesion specific to this project team. At a department level, we belong to the same department anyway so team cohesion and collaboration occurs at that level, rather than being task-specific. Although I am not the supervisor or manager of the team, I feel that everyone needs to play a role in supporting the team dynamics. This may be as simple as going out for lunch together, or maybe even hanging out for drinks after work. Social events away from the office allow us to bond further at an unrestrictive environment like the office. Personally, I try my best to hang out with my colleagues whenever I can to help with the team cohesion.

No comments: