Thursday 15 August 2013

A520.1.6.RB_TingJunLee

Describe how your level of self-awareness has changed since you began your MSLD program with respect to the "Five Core Aspects of Self-Awareness".

1) Emotional Intelligence

I have always been able to manage myself pretty well but often found trouble managing relationships with others. The survey at the start of the chapter proved this was true. Now that I have received this feedback through the survey results, I am definitely more conscious of how I conduct myself with regard to the relationships I have with others, not just family and friends but especially in the work place with my colleagues.

2) Personal Values

Coming from a strict chinese family, my parents have always instilled good values in me such as integrity, respect and being polite. This has not changed much as values are hard to instill or change, like how a leopard doesn't change its spots. However, I have realized that different people have different upbringings and hence our values may be different. I work in an American company based in Singapore and have noticed the difference in our values. This will give me a better understanding on how to work with other people, in particular foreigners.

3) Cognitive Style

During work, I often find myself being a pessimist on the potential outcome of projects. This can be attributed to how I perceive the project and the information contained within it. The survey results also showed that I have this tendency. Now that I am aware of this, I can start to take a different outlook and perception to problems.

4) Orientation Towards Change

When I was younger, I was more receptive towards change and somewhat more adventurous. But as I grew older and started working, I became less adventurous and prefer consistency in my life. I also tend to plan more in depth rather than take my chances as they come. This may have been a result to the nature of my work.

5) Core Self-Evaluation

The survey results came as a surprise to me as it showed that I fall within the bottom quartile. I've always thought of myself as a confident individual. Now that I have data to show otherwise, I can begin to work on my self-confidence and competency.











No comments: